This is a sumptuous Middle-Eastern inspired dinner. The aubergines are sliced in half, rubbed with oil and cumin seeds and baked until soft. You then top them with a beautiful yoghurt dressing, toasted cashew nuts and fresh coriander. Allow about 10 minutes of effort and 50 minutes of roasting.
Cumin seeds are definitely one of my most *exciting ingredients* I also sprinkle them over soups and once had an unforgetful wrap filled with fried halloumi, beetroot, yoghurt and cumin seeds!
Roast Aubergine With Yoghurt Dressing (serves 2)
- 2 aubergines, sliced in half lengthways
- Olive oil or vegetable oil
- Salt and pepper
- 1 tsp ground cumin
- 200g Greek or natural yoghurt
- 1 clove garlic, crushed
- 2 tbsp lemon juice
- 1 tbsp cashew nuts/pine nuts , toasted (do this by frying them on a high heat in a dry non-stick pan, shaking regularly, for about 30 seconds – 1 minute until golden – careful not to burn!)
- 1 handful of roughly chopped coriander
Preheat the oven to gas mark 6/200 degrees. Gently score the 4 cut halves of aubergine flesh with criss cross cuts, then carefully rub/brush over 1 tbsp of oil between them and sprinkle over the salt and pepper and cumin seeds. Roast for around 50 minutes until browned and soft.
While the aubergine is roasting mix the yoghurt, garlic and lemon juice together. To serve, spoon the yoghurt dressing over the aubergine then top with the toasted cashew nuts and fresh coriander.